NORTH MIAMI, Fla. (April 30, 2020) – The 2019-2020 school year was shortened due to the COVID-19 Pandemic so we've decided to take a look back at this year and highlight the tremendous things our teams and student-athletes accomplished.
Today we look at the JWU men's basketball team. During the 2019-20 campaign, the Wildcats were led by a number of newcomers and featured an exciting brand of basketball. With sharpshooters (Alex Doane and Dante Pace) along with talented slashers (Vince Ventulan and Tyler Poindexter), JWU gave every opponent fits last season.
Overall Record: 7-19
Conference Record: 3-15
Conference Finish: 9th
11/7/19 – at Trinity Baptist (69-66) – First win of the season (recap)
11/10/19 – Point Park – First home win of the season (recap)
12/17/19 – (rv) Saint Xavier (102-95 OT) – Wildcats knock off (rv) Saint Xavier in overtime thriller (recap)
12/19/19 – Mitchell (83-75) – JWU tops NCAA DIII Mitchell College (recap)
1/4/20 – Webber International (83-73) – First conference win of the season (recap)
2/7/20 – at Thomas (73-58) – First conference road win of the season (recap)
- Doane and Pace Named Second-Team All-Conference (2/27/20)
- Alex Doane finished second in the Sun Conference is 3-point field goals made-per-game (3.17)
- Dante Pace ranked third in the league in 3-pointers made-per-game (3.04)
- Pace's 80 made treys were the second-most in the conference while Doane drained the fourth-most (73)
- Kevin Rostamian ranked No. 9 in the conference in total rebounds (197) and was No. 5 in rebounds-per-game (8.2)
- JWU made the second-most 3-pointers in the conference (264), averaging 10.15 per game
- Wildcats win third-straight contest with 10-point win over Webber International (1/4/20)
- JWU closes out 2019 with 83-75 win over Mitchell College (12/19/19)
- Wildcats knock off (rv) Saint Xavier, 102-95, in overtime (12/17/19)
- Hot-shooting (53.8 percent) from downtown leads to first home win of the season (10/10/19)
Follow men's basketball and all of JWU's 11 athletic teams on Twitter (@JWUAthleticsNM), YouTube (JWUAthletics), and Instagram (the WildcatWay).
About JWU Athletics: JWU Athletics is home to more than 150 student-athletes in 11 different sports. Established in 1998, JWU Athletics is a member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and the Sun Conference. Athletic events are held the Wildcat Center and the Miami Shores Recreation Complex (9825 NE 7th Ave., Miami Shores, FL 33138)
About JWU: Founded in 1914, Johnson & Wales University is a private, nonprofit, accredited institution with approximately 13,000 graduate, undergraduate and online students at its four campuses in Providence, Rhode Island; North Miami, Florida; Denver, Colorado; and Charlotte, North Carolina. An innovative educational leader, the university offers degree programs in arts and sciences, business, culinary arts, design and engineering, education, health and wellness, hospitality, nutrition and physician assistant studies. Its unique model integrates arts and sciences and industry-focused education with work experience and leadership opportunities, inspiring students to achieve professional success and lifelong personal and intellectual growth. The university's impact is global, with alumni from 125 countries pursuing careers worldwide. For more information, visit jwu.edu.
-- JWU --